Samsung Gear S3: A Value Packed Smartwatch with Lot More for Your Wrist
Samsung has unveiled its new wrist gear, the all new Samsung Gear 3 smartwatch. For the ace tech manufacturer, it is a big leap with more power, specs, and plush design. Well, smartwatches for some time are vying to deliver a look and feel similar to luxury watches while with all the tech-wear attributes intact. This new wrist gear from Samsung continues to hold this charm typical to designer watches we sport in vacations or festive occasions. So, it is going to be a watch equally for the geeks and the fashion conscious.
The stylish design of Gear S2 is further given a boost by the clever rotating bezel. The rotating bezel will help to spin the dial to change watch faces and select apps. The Gear S3 is built on a solid steel case and it comes with high-quality 22mm watch straps. Though, in look and feel it resembles an everyday designer watch, just by rotating the smartwatch interface can be accessed at any point of time. The design is seemingly an outcome of a fusion of traditional watch interface and smartwatch.
Gear S3 actually came up with two variants, respectively as Gear S3 Frontier and the Gear S3 Classic.
While the Samsung Gear S3 Frontier is designed for more active users by offering a rugged design, thanks to the built-in LTE mobile network it can work as a smartwatch at times when the smartphone is not connected to it. On the other hand, the Gear S3 Classic sports an iconic look and feel with a sleek lightweight design similar to designer-crafted luxury watches.
The difference in design, both Gear S3 models share the same tech specs that include a dual-core 1.0GHz processor, 768MG RAM, 4GB internal memory and 380mAh battery. Both models run on the Tizen OS and are compatible with Android 4.4 or later and also iOS.
Samsung Gear S3 watches come packed with a bevy of smart features that shows a clear advancement from the earlier Samsung smartwatch. Let us have a look at some of the key features of Samsung Gear S3.
- Samsung Gear S3 offers a 1.3-inch Super AMOLED display with a 360 x 360 resolution and 278ppi pixel density. The display has the characteristic of being always on. This would allow seeing any information without needing to wait.
- The display is further protected by extra-tough Corning Gorilla Glass.
- Gear S3 Frontier offers an SOS mode through which location tracking can be activated to send alerts to families, friends and emergency services in case the user is facing any danger while the smartphone is not close in hand.
- Both the watches have GPS and a barometric altimeter to track location information and a lot of data concerning your jogging or outdoor activities.
- Both the watches are IP68 rated for water and dust resistant capabilities. Wearing these watches one can take a deep under up to one meter of water for a maximum duration of 30 minutes.
Calls from your wrist
Gear S3 allows answering a call right from your wrist without reaching for your smartphone. The built-in speaker in Gear S3 allows making or taking calls right from the watch. But remember, the Bluetooth model needs a voice call app and Wi-Fi connection and for making calls without the phone.
The new watch offers Samsung Pay, the secure payment feature earlier were available only with Samsung phones. The payment terminal do not have a tap-to-pay function even? Well, for such scenarios the watch offers MST payment technology that works through a magnetic ping at credit card terminals.
Robust battery life
It is a bit bigger watch with a 46mm diameter. Can you guess the reason for this bigger size? Well, it is the bigger battery that makes the size a little bigger. It is loaded with a 380mAh battery that can last up to 4 days. It’s pretty robust, you must agree.
Price and availability
As for a release date, Samsung did not mention it clearly yet. Unveiled at the end of last month, it is expected to arrive anytime soon, most probably at the end of September, this year. The current price of the base model stands at US$299.
Keval Padia is a Founder & CEO of Nimblechapps, a fast-growing web application development and mobile application development company. The current innovation and updates of the field lure him to express his views and thoughts on certain topics.