5 Effective Ways to Implement Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
Technology has been the reason that many businesses have succeeded. It is also the reason that many businesses have failed. Technology represents many issues for businesses. A business needs to be able to identify the technology that it needs. It needs to make sure that the technology they turn to works and is reliable if they decide to use it. The business also needs to have a plan to implement the technology.
Businesses that fail because of technology usually do one or more of a few things.
- They ignore the technology and fall behind their competitors
- They choose the wrong technology to employ
- They do not learn how to use and they do not implement the technology the right way.
While it may not be easy to stop the first things that cause technology to fail, the final piece is in control of the organization that employees the technology. One of the technologies that many businesses are turning to is known as Session Initiation Protocol (SIP). It is an effective technology that can improve the way that a business operates when it is done right.
What is SIP?
The first thing that a business needs to do is learn what SIP is and how it can help their business. Session initiation protocol are VoIP based systems that are designed to improve the ability for a business to communicate. It is a system that is designed to improve the voice over internet protocol (VoIP) phone systems that many businesses are employing for cheap or free internet phone calls. This technology has brought up a new revolution in the modern workplace. While these systems are designed to lower the costs of phone systems for any sized business and provide the business with easier ways to communicate, the use of SIP further enhances this. SIP allows for a direct connection between the organization and an internet telephone service provider. It is considered easier to configure, easier to maintain, more secure and comes at a lower cost. These are all of the things that business are looking for.
The mistakes that most businesses are making involves the implementation of the SIP. It is not that businesses do not recognize the importance of this tool. It is strictly that they do not start out the right way and do not get the chance to recover from their mistakes. There are 5 things that a business can do to make sure they are effectively able to implement Session Initiation protocol.
- Use the right Carrier – A good SIP will rely on what is often called a native SIP. This is a system that was designed to provide SIP and that has the right sized network for the needs of the business both now and in the future. A native network such as Switch was designed for Internet protocol traffic unlike some of the older technologies that are being used. This allows a business to get the most out of their SIP choice.
- Evaluating Needs – The capacity of the SIP network is a very important consideration. It will affect the speed and the quality of the SIP network. A business needs to think about what their future expansion and needs will be and will need to make sure that the network they choose will be able to handle it.
- Optional Features – When a person buys a car, they know that it comes with standard features and optional features. SIP networks are the same. Many of them offer enhanced features as part of their standard package or they may charge for them. It is very important for the business to evaluate the features that are available and the features that they want either now or in the future to make sure they get the most from their systems.
- Customer Service – It is important for a business to choose a provider that will work with them. The SIP service provider should have a team available to work to resolve problems or to work with the business to make sure that they are getting everything they need out of the network. When problems arise, they need to be able to work with the business to solve the issues.
- Communication – The biggest reason that these systems do not work is the business does not inform the users of the system what it can do and how to use it. The lack of information that many businesses have can be a big problem when implementing this type of network system. Make sure that everyone that will be impacted by the implementation of this system is aware of what it means, how it works and what it will do for them, to make it successful.
Businesses are going to turn to Sip and if they do it right, they will succeed. If you have any ideas about what this can mean, please feel free to share them with us.
This guest article was written by Peter Davidson, a senior business associate who strives to help different brands and startups to make business decisions and strategies efficiently. He loves to share his views on the latest technologies and applications through his well-researched content pieces. Follow him on Google+ and Twitter.