6+1 Alternative Uses for Your Old Smartphone
When it’s time for a new smart hone, don’t be so quick to recycle the old one. It’s not useless, there are many uses of outdated Android phones. Let’s see some ideas:
1) Turn into portable mp3 player. Maybe it’s not a powerhouse, but it will run an mp3 player perfectly. Just use it as an iPod touch. With airplane mode the battery life will be much longer than before, when used as a phone.
2) Turn into home entertainment device. Go, get a dock from ebay, or put into a cheap but nice phone holder. Connect to the Hi-Fi amplifier and your touchscreen-home-audio-beauty is ready for use. If the smart phone supports HDMI adapter, you can even connect to your large TV and use as a state of the art media player. Tip1 Tip2
3) Use as a portable game console. That great for kids! For older Androids retro game emulators and puzzle games are recommended. Devices with higher system specification can support more advanced games as well.
4) Install desktop PC client and server apps. This way an old Android phone can become a must have IT professional tool, a portable system monitor device.
5) Turn into a home server. Home servers can be really handy for streaming media, securing public Wi-Fi, or sharing files between friends. But if you don’t have a spare computer lying around to turn into a server, free app Servers Ultimate can do it to an old Android phone.
6) Use as a smart thermostat. Android Thermostat is an open source thermostat project ideal for programmers and electronics hobbyists.
There are many more simple alternative uses like WiFi Phone, PC remote control, video player software remote control, alarm clock and so on. Check Google Play Store for apps that can save your phone from lying for years in the bottom drawer.