What To Do If Your Cell Phone Is Lost Or Stolen?
No one ever plans on losing their phone, but when it happens, panic quickly sets in. Keep calm, it’s important to react swiftly. There are many ways to track a lost cell phone down and techniques to use in preparation for misplacing your phone so you can get it back fast. Check the following tips:
1) Call it. If your phone is nearby, you’ll hear it and can retrieve it. Alternatively, perhaps someone will answer it and can tell you where it is.
2) Do a quick search in obvious areas, Retrace your recent steps. Check the back of the seats, car seats, under bed, bathroom, pockets, places where you usually charge it.
3) Cancel and change your passwords and logins. Contact your wireless service provider IMMEDIATELY to suspend your service and report your missing cellular phone. Deal with financial and personal information first, such as bank accounts, Facebook and Twitter logins, etc.
4) Call the places you have been and the people you have been with since you last remember having your phone. Use social media – It’s a long shot but friends of friends of friends are sometimes a good way to find something lost.
5) Send an SMS text message. One old-fashioned trick that could work, depending on the person who finds it, is to offer a reward.
6) Report it. Visit the police station. You will need the IMEI number of the device. If you have insurance over your smartphone, your insurance company will want a police report. Some service providers may also require a police report in order to deactivate your account.
7) Find it with pre-installed tracking apps. Tracking apps gives you a good chance to find your phone as long as it is turned on and the SIM card is inserted. If you have an iPhone, use “Find My iPhone” or “GadgetTrak”. For Android users, use “Where’s My Droid” or “Lookout” (each needs to be pre-installed). These programs allow wiping of information remotely and providing location information using its GPS receiver. Search App Store and Google Play store for more alternatives.
Learn from your loss. Losing the device itself is bad enough, but there’s a good chance that you’ll lose your contacts and text messages. Replacement cost is another issue. So what should you do now, while you still have the phone in your possession? Fortunately, there are numerous ways you can locate a lost cell phone. Almost all require that you sign up for something beforehand, so start preparing now! Install tracking apps and write down your phone’s IMEI number (it’s on a sticker under the battery, or can be checked by dialing *#06#) somewhere safe.